Dragonfly

Just in case you can't tell what the picture to the left is... it's a dragonfly!

You might be wondering why I'm posting a picture of a dragonfly?  I'm not sure myself, but when I saw the picture, I was reminded of times when I was still a little girl and I would run around the yard trying to catch one.

I remember I even had a points system depending on what color the dragonfly was.  I remember I could spend hours upon hours just playing and making up all sorts of stories as I dreamed of ways to capture the prized insect.  A lot of times it was that conjuring and getting lost in my stories that was more fun than the actual catching.  After all, I always let them go.  I never felt right about keeping such a beautiful thing imprisoned in a glass jar.

It didn't matter, that I filled the jar with flowers and grass and other things I thought my dragonfly would enjoy.  The jar wasn't its home.  The garden was.

I see dragonflies now and I'm reminded of the days when times were pure and innocent and I could escape to magical places by simply playing in our garden outside.  I smile and feel grateful to have memories that are simple and sweet.

Look around you.  What brings a smile to your face?