Blessing

I was at my Uncle's funeral service recently. Despite the general sadness of the occasion, there were funny moments -- thanks to the priest.

My uncle would have wanted it that way. He was never one to take things too seriously. He had a ready smile and a joke to give at a moment's notice.

But as I sat there and listened to the priest conduct the traditional ceremonies and blessings... my mind started wandering. He explained what it meant to be blessed. It surely wasn't what I thought it was -- not completely anyway. The priest explained that when someone blesses you, it means that they are giving up a part of themselves -- their blood or their life to give to you. What?! I had no idea. I always thought it meant the 'blesser' was communicating to you about God's blessings... like 'God be with you' and all that.

Don't get me wrong, divine blessing is what I strive for. It's what I want, but nowadays hearing people say "bless you" doesn't carry the weight of something deep and powerful. It's a passing comment with no emotional attachment.

It got me thinking that even though I grew up in the Catholic faith, it made me sad that I never really understood it. Growing up Catholic (for me), meant going to church on Sundays, going to confession when you did something wrong, and praying like crazy so you weren't damned to hell. I think that's why I lost interest and once I stepped away, I never returned to the religion. My family is Catholic and when there are funerals, weddings, baptisms, I show up and give my respect, but to be honest... there is a disconnect. I don't get the feels that true faith brings to the devout (no matter what religion).

I'm a Seeker. I want to understand, but of late I haven't done much seeking.
Maybe it's time...

So now I'm curious... not about the Catholic religion, but about the origins of the traditions and what they really meant. Like what it means to be blessed....
For me, giving a part of yourself to someone you care about as you bless them is so much more intimate and profound. It's not just a passing comment.

My wheels are spinning and I'm thinking. That's a good thing -- both personally and for my writing. There's something awaiting on the other side of the door and I need to discover it.

Take care,
Cecily




picture from Morguefile.com (bible w/cross)
picture from Unsplash.com (figure behind door)